Card Catalog link

About Us / Our History

In 1954, the Bookmobile Project was sponsored by the Friends of Kentucky Libraries. They donated a small bookmobile and it was maintained and operated by the Lyon County Board of Education. Library books were housed in several locations in the county.

Later 1965, the books were moved to a house on Fairview Avenue, which was funded by Eddyville Women’s Club. Members of the Women’s Club volunteered their time to serve the public. Donations were received to aid in keeping the library open.

In 1966, the Department of Libraries was no longer able to support the program. A tax should be taken by vote. The tax failed. The library closed in November, 1966. A petition was presented in May, 1967. Interested individuals went door-to-door in the county, on the bookmobile, to show the public the library was needed. The petition was successful and the library reopened in August, 1967.

A Board of Trustees was appointed. Under the guidance of the Board of Trustees and the Department of Libraries, a plan for a new building was made, in 1968. The new library was completed in July, 1970, and open to the public.

In 2010-2011, a full renovation was completed. An addition was added that consisted of a teen room, a computer lab, a reading room, small storage room, director’s office, and a staff restroom. The library reopened Spring, 2011.